SCHOOL BUS SAFETY & AWARENESS AT YOUR BUS STOP
- When leaving your home go directly to your bus stop.
- DO NOT RUN to catch your bus, this is very dangerous.
- Be at the bus stop five minutes before your bus is scheduled to arrive
- Stand at least 10 feet back from the road.
- Wait until your bus comes to a complete stop before moving to board.
- If you must cross the street to board the bus, WAIT until it has STOPPED, the RED LIGHTS are flashing and the DRIVER SIGNALS that it is safe to cross. Then look both ways before crossing in front of the bus. Remember vehicles don’t always obey school buses stop lights…!
BOARDING AND RIDING THE BUS: REMEMBER THE DRIVER IS IN CHARGE OF THE BUS AT ALL TIMES
- Board the bus in an orderly manner.
- Listen to the driver at all times.
- Quickly take a seat and stay seated until the bus reaches your destination.
- Talk in a normal tone so that you do not distract the bus driver.
- Keep the aisle and the emergency exits clear of all belongings.
- Drinking and eating are not permitted on the bus.
- Pointed or sharp objects such as pens, pencils, or other school supplies should be in a container.
- Glass containers are not allowed on the bus.
- Flammable materials, lighters, matches and other such paraphernalia are not allowed on the bus.
- Do not throw objects in or from the bus.
- Do not put your head, hands or body out the window.
- Do not deface, damage, or tamper with any of the bus equipment including the seats. Anyone found doing so will not only lose transportation privileges but will have to pay for repairs.
- Be courteous, use appropriate language.
- For your Safety, Stay seated at all times when the bus is in motion, it's the Law.
- Keep your hands to yourself.
- Respect others personal space and property.
- ABSOLUTELY NO BULLYING ALLOWED!
WHEN YOU LEAVE THE BUS
- If you must cross the street, walk ten feet out in front of the bus, STOP, look up at the DRIVER, WAIT until he/she SIGNALS you that it is okay to cross, look both ways making sure all traffic has stopped, then proceed across the street with caution. Remember vehicles don’t always obey school buses stop lights.
- Go directly home
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
REMEMBER, RIDING THE SCHOOL BUS IS A PRIVILEGE. REPEATED AND/OR SERIOUS OFFENSES WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF RIDING PRIVILEGES.
- On a field trip or sports trip, the teacher/coach accompanying you is responsible and will expect you to follow the rules and regulations.
- These same rules and regulations apply anytime you ride a school bus.
OTHER SAFETY INFORMATION:
- Live animals, firearms, explosives or anything of a dangerous nature are NOT permitted on school buses. Gym bags, band instruments, school projects and other similar items are allowed only if they can be held on the learner's lap without endangering other students.
- For the safety and convenience of others on the bus, it is suggested that students with band instruments should attempt to sit in the front seats of the bus if available.
- Parents and school staff should watch for and be aware that drawstrings on backpacks can become entangled on bus handrails etc. when exiting the bus. It is best if learners don’t hang such items as key chains or trinkets from their backpacks for their own safety.
VIOLATION OF BUS RULES:
- The bus driver will reprimand the student for minor violations.
- The bus driver may give a warning.
- The bus driver may assign seats.
- The bus driver will report serious or repeated violations to the school principal.
- The school principal will notify the learner and the parent or guardian of disciplinary action which must be taken.