March 10, 2020
Dear Staff, Parents, and Community Members,
R.S.U. No. 67 has been carefully monitoring the status of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Although at this time there is not a confirmed case in the State of Maine, the Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Maine Department of Education has encouraged all schools to review emergency plans and communicate universal precautions to our communities.
Prevention: How to protect yourself…
· Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap is not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Cover your cough or sneeze into a tissue or your sleeve. Be sure to throw tissues in the trash.
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
· Stay home when you are sick.
R.S.U. 67 has been following universal precautions and monitoring influenza and other illnesses for the past several weeks. An additional custodian has been hired to assist with sanitation at Ella P. Burr, where we house our youngest students, while we continue to monitor this situation. Parents, students, and employees are reminded of the importance of staying home if you have a fever and are not feeling well.
I will continue to provide you updated information as it becomes available. More detailed information regarding the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) can be found at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. Stay well.
Jean Skorapa, Superintendent of Schools